Good?

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Sonic
Site Admin
Good?

Postby Sonic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:35 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136137

I am considering buying a Blu-ray drive, and while I'm buying the reader I figure might as well buy the burner too. And I frequently burn disks that need to have somewhat of a professional quality so I use Lighscribe.

Discuss.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am

i didnt know they had 6x drives already. there's not much you can say about a drive when there's only 5 on the market. besides it being the cost of an awesome GFX card, anyway...

standard BD readers are less than 1/2 the cost of the burner, that's all i can really say. if you dont need a burner right now, they'll be 1/2 price in probably 6 months.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:57 am

i have a rule that i go by when buying computer tech...
if apple doesnt put said tech in the computers, there is probably a reason for this, and thus, i dont usually get it.
reasoning: apples switch to intel signed a decline in motorola processors.
more reasoning: apple took out firewire (IEEE 1394) from all the new computers. why? usb 3 is coming out soon, and its going to make firewire look like a joke.
i havent seen any specs about apple putting blueray into their comps...
myself? i dont think i would get one. i see data storage shifting from disks to flash. with it getting as cheap as it is, you will be able to store much more on flash without having to worry about scratching and such for about the same price.
for right now, since flash is so expensive still? stick to dvds. much less expensive than blueray anyhoos.

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 am

I still think the Blu Ray format is a waste of money...it's going to go the way of the Laserdisk. It's just not worth the investment on equipment, IMO.
Gaming:

Workstation:

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am

lmao and kudos for ancient tech mention foxx.

laserdisks... :lol:

Elric of the void
Site Admin

Postby Elric of the void » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:46 pm

@chips don't put all your eggs in one basket, Apple is currently championing the creation of computers without cd and/or dvd drives.
Unless your willing to pay an ass load extra for what is considered a basic option.

@everyone
instead try staying informed:
Only reason blu-ray is the winner of the format war was that HD-Dvd was not part of a cheaper overall package as the blu ray was. If the 360 would've been shipped w/ a HD drive on board it would've crushed blu ray out of existence. Instead we got a shitty console(ps3) which came in at 600$ which conveniently had a blu ray player in it that came it well under 1000+ dollars cheaper than the most basic one outside of the console.

Hello VHS goodbye Betamax.

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I want an I-Max projector for my living room. That would be bad ass.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm

@elric - idk man... i havent seen a single mac that comes with a superdrive option instead of installed... (discounting the macbook air, which is soley for lightweight file transportation, and was designed to be less than 2 cent. thick, to thin for a superdrive...) except the mac pro, which only comes stock with one, instead of on optional two.

im still going to stick with flash... anything more than a dvd doesnt do me any good. (plus, what happens if the computer you are trying to put it on doesnt have the capability to read said discs?)

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 pm

apple doesnt know technology any more than you or i do. they helped invent firewire this they forced it upon people. apple isnt a bad company, but i wouldnt go to them for hardware advice.

BTW apple used IBM PowerPC CPUs, not Motorola.

Current Macs are literally PCs that run OSX. theres no hardware different whtsoever. not even the slightest difference. they run a different OS, have a different case, and have the absolute most shittiest mouse design on earth. everything else is exactly the same. and you can use a better "PC" mouse.

and i dont mind Macs...just dont think theyre special anymore...

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:37 am

in my opinion, thats the only thing that i really follow apple around with. when it comes to tech, the community seems to be following in their footsteps. wherever steve jobs (douche that he is) decides he wants to be, he makes something that does the job and does it well.
and i agree... if you are looking for hardware superiority, mac isnt the way to go. their hardware can be outclassed by anybody building a pc. (unless you config a mac pro, but that tops out around 27 grand... but with 8 cores at 3.0 ghz. 32 MB of ram, top nvidia card, 4 tB of harddrive space, and 2 30 inch dispays? thats a workstation, not a home computer.) but you buy a mac for the OS, thats pretty much it. when it comes to OSs, i give mac os x full credit for being the easiest to use, most stable, and least likely to crash computer out there. (i can bluescreen XP within 10 minutes of touching it, vista in 5, but getting a kernal panic on os x? yeah right. ive been trying for years.) i would use linux, but its just to varied with all the flavors and distros to really find one that does what you want.

and for the record @ jif? yeah. the mighty mouse blows some serious nuts. i despise that mouse. terrible shape and one button, two directions? agh. now i use a razer.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:51 pm

i could build an 8core PC workstation. so could you. it's all the same parts. Server board with 2 CPU slots or the Skulltrail platform which consumerized a server-class board with both SLI and crossfire.

apple is very innovative. ipod, iphone, tons of other shit are all great and pretty original, but i dont worship their every ad campaign. i like OSX, but it's not perfect either. i dont use it enough to compare it to Vista. i dont mind vista at all and i rarely have problems with it.

dun dun dun... chips
Papes

Postby dun dun dun... chips » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:54 pm

ture, very true, the only thing that i notice is that the parts are alot cheaper when you but them from apple.
i also agree that mac os is broken in some places. finder is terrible and they need to do something about it, but when it comes to mac or windows, as much as i appreciate windows for some stuff, i like macs better.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Return to “General Discussion”