Home PC Virtualization

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Sonic
Site Admin
Home PC Virtualization

Postby Sonic » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 pm

I have not been able to find something to do this as well as I would like but maybe you guys have heard of something. What I want to do is install some basic OS (something like ESXi) and then toggle between my 2 main Operating systems XP (Games and engineering things I need) and Ubuntu or Fedora (productivity and media). Ideas? And how much of a performance drop will I have doing this?

Current Idea
Main OS:

Then inside VMware have a ubuntu and windows VM.

Bricksolid
Got Allfum

Postby Bricksolid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Are you saying you want multiple OSs running at once then you toggle through them like alt tab? That cant be done because of how OSs are setup. You could make a dual boot system, but you cant toggle live through them. What you could do is emulate these other os lets say in XP, but the performance would probably be terrible.
What's necessary in a fight isn't fear.
Nothing can be born from that.
If you dodge, "I won't let them cut me".
If you protect someone, "I won't let them die".
If you attack, "I'll cut them".

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 am

you dont want DSL to be your main OS lol.

make it either ubuntu/Fed10 or Windows. whichever you dont choose will get virtualized. it'd be easier to run Windows, then VMWare the linux client b/c there are pre-made Fedora and multiple Ubuntu flavors pre-made for VMWare Player. VMW Player is VMWare's free client. it has really really limited functionality but if you care more about inside the virtual OS and arent concerned with controlling it outside the VM then it'll be fine. it cant take snapshots or anything and doesnt let you configure like anything, but it will run any OS. I think it may have some of the hardware support disabled because some OS' i have for it have input lag.

if you're serious about this, you'll want to purchase VMWare workstation or something similar that gives full control over everything.

Jif
Jimmy Jams

Postby Jif » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm

just found VirtualBox: http://www.virtualbox.org/

free and has a lot of the features that the pay VMWare clients have and a ton more than the free VMWare Player has. it's still got some bugs, like a really annoying mouse bug, but it's a a solid foundation and has lots of options.

Return to “General Discussion”