New rig

Comments and discussion on any and all topics.
Harness
Da Bumble
New rig

Postby Harness » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Im looking to put together a budget machine that will play TF2 nicely. I need a computer so bad as the glitches and problems from my 3 year old rig are becoming unbearable.

Mobo+CPU= $185.00 :D
2x1GB DDR2 RAM $47.00
Gforce 8600GT 109.99-20.00(mail in rebate)
SATA 3.0GB HD 70.00

Total- 392.00+PSU and maybe case.

I already have XP home. I plan on raping the case I have now unless I can squeze out a few more bucks. Can anyone recommend a cheap PSU to get the job done?

P.S. If you do post a response please use laymens terms because I really have no clue what im doing.
I type a bunch of shit then people go fuk themselves

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:08 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148144

5 bucks cheaper plus it has "Perpendicular Recording" which is supposedly supposed to mop the floor with the current version of recording.

everything else on the harddrive is the same as yours. so question is, "want to save $5?" your choice

nice deal on the ram btw

along with a case, you may need a new power supply. the one you have might be enough already. if you do need a new power supply, usually you can get decent deals with power supply/case combo

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:53 pm

As long as I can keep the Power supply under $70.00 I can make this work. A new case is likely out of the queston unless I can get a case and PSU for about 70.00 which I havent been able to find. I have no worries about using my old case. These new parts could be held together with Lego and tinker toys for all I care. Plus I very handy at building/altering machinery and I have no shame in going midevil on my current case.

Ive done alot of research on this new computer but I was unable to find out what kind of power supply I would need for this setup. Can you help me with how much power this machine would require?

The RAM is an awesome deal but I noticed the prices coming down on DDR2 for a little while now. I damn near fell over when I found I could get a Mobo and CPU for about 185.00. Most people who have reviewed this CPU have commented on how easy and risk free it is to overclock from 2.6 to 3.1

Darkfoxx
Site Admin

Postby Darkfoxx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Any reason on why you chose AMD? A Core 2 Duo will out perform an X2 any day.
Gaming:

Workstation:

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:21 pm

How big of a mistake would it be not going with Core 2 Duo at this point? I think I would be spending about 30-40 bucks more if I went with the cheapest core 2.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:36 pm

well its by opinion mostly, but i think that amd is better.

IMO your best bet is to get a mobo that has the same slot type as the new amd proccessers that are going to be coming out so that when they do you'll have little problems upgrading. but it is truly preference

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Well its on order. I ended up going with the same Duo core CPU that Drakfoxx has in his build. I sucked it up and junked my ultra budget gaming machine but still put something togehter that was in the 700.00-750.00 range before mail-in rebate. Mail in rebates will bring it down another 100.00. Thanks for all your help guys. It may seem like nothing to you but your help was huge to me.

I cant wait to have kick ass ping and also kick ass video. Bless my awesome family for joining together and getting me New Egg money.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:56 pm

congrats dude

i got some parts from fox a lil while back when he rebuilt his comp. i just need a new mobo so I can have pci express graphics card. is that 8600 for $90 a good deal?

Onyx
Is Gettin' Pwned

Postby Onyx » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:04 am

you can get by with an 8600... but there is a huge difference in performance between an 8600 and 8800.

Swift
Is Gettin' Pwned

Postby Swift » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:04 pm

yeah I will give u my specs on my comp that I just built for a low budget in total i think i dropped 600 dollars total but give me a day or so do to this because so much shit is going on right now in my life that I just do not have time to explain everything

Tip tho i got the bottom end of core 2 duo's and it plays TF2 great and it is extremely easy to overclock which I did about 25% so its uhhh fuck i cant remeber ill post it later go with a intel processor and

DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE FUCKING POWER SUPPLY FOR GODSAKE BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA

Swift
Is Gettin' Pwned

Postby Swift » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:11 pm

I use that graphics card nvidia 8600 GT XFX its great I run dual monitors I can 4 box World of Warcraft on it and get max fps for each window (and no I do not play WoW but i used too) It runs crysis at medium flawlessly it shits bricks if u go high or very high.

Also i am running Vista so that fucks shit up some times

iono 8600 its a solid choice and yes 8800 is fucking l33t as shit but it also costs more than my entire computer so fuck that. I run TF2 at mostly medium and high on the specs but when it comes to matches i drop everything to low so I get max FPS and smoothness.

Swift
Is Gettin' Pwned

Postby Swift » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Wow i have the same mobo u are looking at too its nice the BIOs options are very limited its does not offer very advanced twikking options but its solid the audio in for the front panel for that mother board suck my balls beacuse u have to match up single pins in this fucking tiny ass corner but it gets the job done and makes every thing work smoothly so I give my approval my friends at school swear by Asus mobos so i would look at those.

Bacon
People Know Me

Postby Bacon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:37 pm

harness if you do want a new case for cheap, slickdeals.net often has some pretty decent cases for quite cheap

Zerogod
Got Fofum

Postby Zerogod » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 am

yeah slickdeals is a good place to find anything actually, from little stuff to freakishly good deals that you wouldnt normally see elsewhere.
Winter is Coming

Harness
Da Bumble

Postby Harness » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:50 pm

I got all my parts yesterday and got it all together. Havent installed windows yet because it took almost an hour to format the hard drive alone and it was getting late. Well see today when I get home from work if windows and everything else works properly.

I ended up going with the case below and caught a deal on a combo with the power supply. After mail-in rebate the case will only cost $30.00

Return to “General Discussion”